The 13,000 square foot collegiate gothic Music Building of the University of Pennsylvania was designed in 1890 by Cope & Stewardson. Daniel J. Keating Company is currently restoring the exterior, renovating the interior, and adding an addition that will double the size of the building. To ensure the longevity of the landmark structure, the terra cotta masonry, exterior brick, historic front porch, window frames and eave brackets are being carefully restored. Brick salvaged from the removal of the rear annex will be reused . The new three-story, concrete addition will provide new classrooms, practice rooms, offices, computer labs, and electronic recording studios within a sound-sensitive, sustainable structure. The economy and design of the addition permits a campus entry on the other side of the building, fronted by a new brick plaza.
The new Music Building is designed to earn LEED Silver certification when it is complete in November 2009.